Maria from Russia had her major dental treatment at Dr Amar Anupam’s Oral and Dental Care. She had oral prophylaxis , composite restoration and aesthetic correction
The Many Benefits of Getting a Dental Prophylaxis
A dental prophylaxis is a dental procedure that is performed primarily to help reduce the risk of gum and tooth disease. Also known simply as a prophylaxis or prophy, this dental procedure is recommended to be taken every six months or yearly, depending on a patient’s history. It is performed by a dentist or licensed dental hygienist who has received specialized training in dental care.Dental Prophylaxis
During a dental prophylaxis, your dentist performs both scaling and polishing. During the scaling process, dental tools are used to remove tartar, plaque, and stains from the teeth – including below the gum line. The polishing process smoothens your teeth removing rough spots which might otherwise attract bacteria. Some dentists also offer dental sealant treatments, which are designed to strengthen teeth and further prevent tooth decay.
How is oral prophylaxis done
- You will be asked to sit back and relax on the dental chair, If it’s your first visit then your dentist will take a detailed medical history of yours.
- Dentist will examine your mouth and look for signs of periodontal pockets and gum infections.
- An ultrasonic scaler will be used to clean your teeth ( it’s a hand held devices with a hand piece and pointy tip. It ejects pressurized water and the
- tip vibrates in order to remove the plaque and calculus from the teeth surface.)
- Tricky spots and difficult to reach areas will be cleaned with hand instruments.
- You will be notified about any cavity of gum problems.
- Prophylaxis paste
- In the end a prophylaxis pasted will be used for polishing the tooth surface. ( a miniature rubber cup is fitted over a hand piece and small amount of prophy paste will be applied on the cup and your teeth will be polished.
- If done properly it’s a painless procedure.
- Ta Da! you are done and good to go home. Say bye bye to cavities. Thanks to Oral Prophylaxis
- Don’t forget to get it done every six month if your are not good at brushing and flossing.